Frquently Asked Questions (for sponsors)
How do I set up an account in Connect?
A: Go to accedp.usra.edu and set-up a sponsor/mentor account. Sponsors/mentors, please use your NASA email to set up the account.
I am a researcher or manager at NASA Ames, and I would like to mentor a community college intern. As I understand these are paid internships, how much will the intern sponsorship cost?
A: The cost for an ACCEDP intern for 1 year is:
- Part-time intern (20hours/week): $0.00
- Part-time with full time hours in the summer (20hrs/week during academic year; 40hours/week for 2 months during the summer):$0.00
I do not have a full year of funding. Can I pay month to month?
A: Funding must be provided for the entire year or in 6-month segments. Funding at any other level must be approved by the technical officer and processed through the ACCEDP office.
Funding for the summer only session must be provided for the entire 10week project.
I would like to mentor an ACCEDP intern, but I only have a project that will take 3 months. Is there flexibility in the time commitment?
A: The ACCEDP program is designed to offer two types of internships: 1 year and 10 week summer opportunities.
Where is the ACCEDP office located?
A: The ACCEDP office is located in Bldg 226 room 207.
What determines eligibility for the program?
A: An intern candidate must:
- have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- commit to a 1 year internship
- be enrolled in at least 5 credits at a community college for the duration of the 1 year internship (course enrollment during the summer is not required)
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
What are the program requirements?
A: Program Requirements:
- invest 20 hours per week in the internship at NASA Ames
- maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- maintain continuous enrollment in a community college (students must take classes during the entire academic year; summer coursework is not required.)
What is the typical work schedule?
A: Interns invest 20 hours per week during the internship during the academic year and potentially 40hours per week during the summer. Internships typically take place during business hours but the specific schedule is determined by the needs of the particular project and the student.
Summer interns invest 40hours per week during the 10week internship.
I understand that students selected as ACCEDP interns receive stipends. How often do student interns receive stipend checks
A: Student interns receive stipend checks once per month, on or around the 25th for the first day through the last day of the month.
Is housing provided for ACCEDP interns?
A: ACCEDP interns commute to the research center to participate in the internship. Housing is not provided.